Heather Lynn Mayer
Ms. Mayer is a commercial litigator with extensive experience in state and federal courts. She represents companies and individuals in contract and business disputes, insurance coverage disputes at the trial and appellate levels, as well as trademark and copyright infringement cases. She also has extensive experience defending businesses in putative nationwide and California class actions.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Mayer practiced for eight years at Latham & Watkins LLP (Los Angeles). Ms. Mayer is a member of the California State Bar and is admitted to practice in the United States District Courts for the Central, Southern and Northern Districts of California, as well as the United States Courts of Appeal for the Eighth, Ninth and Federal Circuits.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2000
Production Editor, Journal of Labor & Employment Law
Stanford University, A.B. Political Science, 1996
Member, California Bar Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
RECOGNITIONS AND AWARDS
2010 “Rising Star” as selected by Los Angeles Magazine and Law & Politics
Author, “Whole Foods: Has the District Court Set a New Standard for the FTC?” The Antitrust Litigator, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Fall 2007)
Co-Author, Chapter on Copyrights and Trademarks, BioPharm Guide to Intellectual Property (2005)
Co-Author, “Recent Interpretations of the Copyright Act by Federal Courts Have Raised the Bar for Plaintiffs Seeking to Recover Indirect Profits for Copyright Infringement,” World Trade Executive (2005)
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of D&O policyholder in duty to defend action, entitling policyholder to multi-million-dollar recover of attorneys’ fees;
- Assisted in jury trial on behalf of policyholder where jury returned verdict in favor of policyholder resulting in multi-million-dollar coverage award, as well as bad faith damages and attorneys’ fees.
- Defeated summary judgment on behalf of CGL policyholder in coverage and bad faith litigation
Represented Sony Pictures Television in case asserting breach of contract and promissory estoppel (matter settled);
- Defeated summary judgment on behalf of FLIR, Inc. in case alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition;
- Defended Rent-A-Center in class action wage and hour matters;
- Successfully defended large corporation in price-fixing investigation conducted by the United States Department of Justice;
- Successfully responded to office actions issued by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, resulting in registration of trademarks.